Thursday 5 April 2018

Ecommerce packages got you down?

 The rise and fall of our economy have put our whole country in a new shopping trend.  This year has been the year of eCommerce.  The statistics are blowing away people and we are now seeing the byproducts of this being done. I am completely shocked by how much online shopping I have done this year and it really was not my plan at all.  The year has changed the entire way my life works.  I know work from home and pretty much been stuck in my home unless an emergency is taking place.  Never in my life did I think that my own state for putting me on house arrest for committing no crime, but here we are and what it has caused no one could have foreseen.  When I go to my front door each day and pick up my Amazon package it saddens me.  Because I know that I am going to pick it up, cut it open and toss the box in my garage.  It really is a fact of life that now my garage is a box pit and it has taken me a few months to learn how to get rid of all those boxes.  I want to do it the most ethically responsible way and that took some time to figure out.  See my trash company only allows us to have one recycle can each week.  This is a problem and not a fun one.



No one likes to work at getting rid of their trash and I am certianly one of those people.  I first just started to throw full cardboard boxes into my recycle trash can and I could fit anywhere from three to four.  This would have been perfect on a normal week, but since the pandemic, I am getting 10 or more boxes a day.  That means that I am constantly running a surplus of packages that are stacking up in my garage.  So after a week, I knew this was not going to work.  I started to work on different ways to figure the problem out but time won and I simply gave up.  Alas, my family could no longer take not having a useable garage and then I had to find a way to get rid of it all and not just put them in a trash bag to go to a landfill. 

What is really sad is that all of those cardboard boxes did not need to go to a land fill I wanted them to go and be recycled because everyone is going through the same thing and I didn't want to contribute to the harmful ways of huritng out the earth.  I want to promote sustainability. I think this was the best thing to do and it was worth the time.  So I started to use my hands to break down the packages and fit them in the trash can. 



It had to stop because I was only able to do this for a few boxes because it gave me paper cuts and blisters.  It also left me with uneven tears in the packages and they didn't fit in the can very efficiently.  So the next obvious step was to go out and get some scissors.  This was a great plan and it worked really well for a long while. So get to snipping!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Ecommerce packages got you down?

 The rise and fall of our economy have put our whole country in a new shopping trend.  This year has been the year of eCommerce.  The statis...